Well, I was wrong. The Cardinals did not need to win out. Of course, had they won every game since last Thursday’s debacle they’d be the NL Wild Card for 2011, but that’s a point not worth even thinking about now.
St Louis will play one game for most of the marbles. Once their playoff odds stood at 1%. As recently as last Friday they had a 18% chance to get in. Today it stands at 61%. They can host a one-game playoff tomorrow without winning today. They can win the Wild Card outright today. They can be eliminated today. The many possibilities boggle the mind.
No matter what happens, the most important is this – they control their own destiny today. That has not been true for this entire run. Today they don’t have to worry about what Atlanta does. Win and they play tomorrow. It’s as simple as that.
I’ve had movie quotes running through my head for the last 12 hours, quotes I think describe the action from the last few days. I thought I’d share some of them with you.
- This is it, Man! – Apollo Creed, coming out for Round 2 in Rocky II
- I find I’m so excited I can’t sit still or hold a thought in my head – Red, Shawshank Redemption, headed to Zihuatanejo
- Once more, into the breach, dear friends – Gen Kang, The Undiscovered Country, quoting some Shakespeare dude
- It’s the bottom of the ninth, the score is tied. It’s time for the big one. – Goose, Top Gun
- I wish I wasn’t working tonight because I really want to see this game! – me
Feel free to add-on in the comments.